Home | Builders Insurance Builders Insurance
Builders Warranty Insurance

Builders Warranty Insurance

All licensed builders in Australia must hold certain types of insurance to meet the regulations. One of the required covers is Builders Warranty Insurance, which is also known as Home Warranty Insurance.

Builders warranty insurance covers the owner of the home in the event that the builder is unable to finish the contracted works (or repair faulty works) due to various reasons including the builder's disappearance, death or bankruptcy.

The regulations and requirements for builders warranty insurance are different for each state and territory, so we have put together a handy list which details what is required for each state.

Most of the builders warranty schemes are managed by the relevant state governments, however there are a number of states where the cover is still managed by general insurance companies.


Builders must hold residential building work insurance (also known as housing indemnity insurance) before commencing work.

More info...


Builders warranty insurance must be held by all builders where the work being undertaken exceeds $12,000.

The insurance scheme is managed by the NSW Home Warranty Insurance Fund

More info...


Builders in Queensland require builders warranty insurance for any work exceeding $3,300 in value. Sub-contractors do not require cover if they are working under a principle contractor who holds the relevant licence and insurance.

The Qld Government manages this insurance via the Queensland Home Warranty Scheme.

More info...


Builders warranty insurance is South Australia is known as building indemnity insurance. This cover is required for all building works exceeding $12,000.

Building indemnity insurance is available from a number of insurance providers including QBE.

More info...


In Victoria, builders warranty insurance is underwritten by the state government and is known as Domestic Building Insurance.

Although the scheme is underwritten by the government, the insurance provider is QBE and cover is to be obtained through an insurance broker rather than via the government.

More info...


Builders warranty insurance in Western Australia can be obtained through a small number of insurers including QBE. Cover was previously available through Vero, however this is no longer the case.

The cover in WA is known as home indemnity insurance.

More info...


No information is available for the Northern Territory.


Although we have made our best efforts to provide accurate and up to date information, we urge you to check the requirements with your local government department or insurance broker before acting upon or relying on any of this information.

Here at Builders Insurance we do not deal with builders warranty insurance, and we are simply providing this information as a service to our website visitors.

Start your quote...

Income Protection

Public Liability

Builder's Pack

What makes us better?

1. Lower Premiums

Our team will work hard to find the best deal on your insurance. If you can find a better deal elsewhere, we'll do our best to match it.

2. Less Hassle

Our online systems allow you to get your quotes faster and get your cover in place with the least amount of hassle.

3. Big & Strong

We only use strong and reputable insurers for your cover, giving you peace of mind knowing that you'll be looked after at claim time.

4. Expertise

We're the experts when it comes in insuring builders. It's what we do, and we do it well.

5. No Call Centres

You won't be dealing with a random person in a call centre each time you speak with us. Instead you will be assigned to a single adviser or broker (depending on your needs) who will look after you.


Public Liability Insurance
Income Protection Insurance
Life Insurance
TPD Insurance
Trauma Insurance
Tool Insurance
Builders Warranty Insurance
Owner Builder Insurance


Builders Insurance Brokers
Builders Insurance Australia
Insurance for Builders
Builders Insurance
Builders Insurance Qld


This website contains general information only and does not take into account your personal needs and objectives. You should not act upon any information without first seeking advice from a qualified professional.

The information contained within this website is for your information only, and by completing an online enquiry your details will be referred to a suitably qualified and licensed professional.

This website is owned and operated by Equita Financial Services Pty Ltd (Equita).

Equita does not hold an AFSL and is not authorised to deal in financial products.